Saturday, August 29, 2009

Where does the time go?

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I was in the midst of AU stuff! It took me a few days, post AU, to get out of that "after Christmas" slump and get back into the swing of things. One of the main things I did was go through my kids bedroom, top to bottom. I clean everything out and reorganized. I had TWO years worth of school papers to sort through but I finally did that. I got most thrown away and the remainder put in binders or somethings in special boxes.

However, most of my time has been spent working on class proposals. Right after AU, I threw myself into proposals since I had a Sept. 1 due date for the retreat I will be teaching at in Austin (see side bar). Then proposals for AU 2010 are due Sept. 15. I'm still working on those. I'm writing new classes and making new samples. But, I will also propose my "One Page at a Time" book class again at the request of some people that attended AU. Whether or not it will be accepted for a second year remains to be seen. If you will be attending AU and are interested in this class, write Linda and tell her (info@artunraveled.com) !!! Each retreat has specifications needed in the proposals, not just content but font, font size, etc.. so, I spent some time editing proposals and such. When typing things up, the size font needed is too small for me to comfortably work with so I type everything larger and then scale it down. However, when you do that, it changes the spacing in things so once I change it, I have to re-edit. I also am a Mac user so for every document I type up, I have to convert each to a word document to send it. This has been confusing for me the way things were listed in my files. So I spent some time this week editing files, and then organizing file folders on my computer so now I can find everything for each retreat and all doc. files are in their own folder. Much easier. I also printed out copies of all my class stuff. I thought, what if something goes wrong with my computer in the midst of my writing all these proposals? While I do have back up, for immediate and easy use, I printed hard copies of everything and put them in a binder. That way, in case of an emergency, I could always just re-type stuff without having to re-think it too! Having everything in a binder is actually a good method for me, a very visual person, to keep up with what I have written and what still needs to be done. Then, when the particular retreat rolls around, I can pull it out and see which classes are for which retreat and immediately see the list of items I will be providing for students, which items are listed to be in their kits, etc... I truly wish I didn't like or need paper, but I do. I just like things in my hands. It's easier to remember, for me...

Proposals have taken up most of my time, really. The boys have had some school events, one of which is today... a pancake breakfast/yard sale. We're waiting for Max to get up so we can go. Last week was Bingo Night, which is always fun. Sam won a cool prize (valued at $30) but it's for a yard, which we don't have. However, the box has all the store info and price tag on it so he came up with the idea of returning it! So that is the plan.

Monday is Sam's 10th birthday! I can't believe it. He really wanted a Castles N' Coasters birthday party but there are two problems with that... (1) it's too hot... and the seats would be blazing hot to try and sit on not to mention melting in the heat all day (2) I just don't have the money it would cost to do it. He had even said he'd wait a couple of months for his party but I hesitate to do that because my income is so unstable, what if I still wasn't able to save up the money for it in a couple of months? Then his birthday would be 2 months past and no big shindig.

Last weekend, Sam attended his first sleep over party for his best friend, Winston's birthday party. He had a blast (even though he only got 4-1/2 hours of sleep, came home super cranky, slept for a couple of hours, and woke up sick!) so I think we are going to do a sleep over party for him next Friday. I have to get invitations out this weekend. And then all of you can pray for me!!! I always go have lunch with each of my boys on their birthday so I'll be eating lunch at school Monday.

Oh, I got yummy mail a week ago. Last year, at AU's vendor day, I purchased a handmade hat by Jennifer Whitmer (no blog, sadly) complete with a gorgeous hand-dyed, handmade silk flower by Lorri Scott. I loved my hat but was having some problems with the headband... I have a tiny head which created some issues. Anyway, this year at AU, Jennifer measured my head, took my hat, and reworked the headband for me. I got it back in the mail a week ago and I am in love with my hat all over again! Isn't it gorgeous?
Jennifer makes many different styles, all unique and one-of-a-kind. I would love a whole wardrobe of her hats! If you ever have a chance to shop for one, get one! You will love it! I love the quirkiness of them and am stopped for compliments every time I wear it! I'm dreaming of more in my future.....

Well, time to get dressed so we can be ready to roll as soon as Max does his rolling out of bed. Should be soon....

4 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

The photo of you in the hat is really adorable. You sound like you're on top of things with organizing for the proposals. Good luck with all of them.

Tiglizzyclone said...

You look so pretty in that hat!

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Please send me your mailing address! I'll send you some recycled felt! Just email me at mouse_house@prodigy.net!
Thanks!
Susan

jan b. said...

The hat looks so lovely on you. Glad to hear that the class proposals are going well, even if they have kept you busy for far too long. Best wishes!

jan