Sunday, June 22, 2008

Workshop day 1


Yesterday I had day 1 of my workshop. DJ Pettitt taught her face painting technique and wow, amazing how much time it takes to paint a 6x6 canvas! I painted most of the day and then another 2 hours after I got home and finished up this morning! I'm dead tired. Painting, especially sorta' realistic, really exhausts me. And DJ's style of painting faces sends me straight into my perfectionist thinking. It's so hard to fight it! Anyway, this is my canvas. Everyone else painted using an image of DJ's just to learn the technique but me... nope. I always have to do things the hard way. I really wanted it to be my own, 100% and I've wanted to paint this young girl for a long time. She is taken from a photograph that my friend, Noleen, took in Senegal. Noleen is the most amazing photographer and the photo of this girl is one of my favorites.

Today, Deryn Mentock will teach us how to embellish the canvas with wire and metal work so I'll post the finished product either tonight... if my eyes are still open when I get home, or tomorrow after I"ve had some solid sleep! The class is great and I love both DJ and Deryn. My friend, Maija is also in the class as is Tonya Peacock,whom I got to meet for the first time. Also, I'm really enjoying getting to sit next to Rena from Utah... gotta' get her blog addy....

Gotta' run... babysitter will here here shortly!

6 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful portrait. I look forward to seeing what you do with the metal embellishments. I know you're having a great time in class.

Joanne

jackie said...

You did a wonderful job on this portrait! Can't wait to see the work after Deryn's class. I have an opportunity to take these classes next year so I am very interested in your experience!
hugs,
jackie

Connie said...

This turned out great Angie. I can't imagine how you could possibly embellish it to make it even more beautiful. I look forward to seeing your finished post!

linda t said...

WOW!! Angie, I am so honored to know such a gifted artist! Great work!
I still need to get over to the Paper Studio!
You inspire me!

Andi said...

Angie..it's gorgeous! And even more so because of your original picture! I don't know how it can get any better, but I can't wait to see it with the text behind the flowers. I a have the opportunity to take this class in Birmingham next summer and jumped on the chance! This is one of the most outstanding classes I've seen in a long time!
Beautiful!!!
hugs, andi

Anonymous said...

Just a little behind on blog reading. I'm with you on not painting the leader's image. Good for you! Your work is sensational.
:Diane