Thursday, November 15, 2007

A special gift




For several days, I have been like a mad woman working on a special gift for my friend Lori. This Saturday, a party is planned for Lori in celebration of her 10 year birthday with her new heart. Yes, Lori had a heart transplant 10 years ago when she had 4 children under the age of 4! The youngest, a set of twins only a few months old when she got her transplant! Wow, I can't believe how the time has passed. I remember that time so well even though Lori and I only knew each other by association at that time. I prayed for their family many, many times. Since then, Lori has become a very precious friend and is also my co-teacher for my Art Expressions Women's Bible study class! I love Lori dearly. This party was planned and each person attending was asked to take time to write out their thoughts about how Lori has impacted their life. I was approached to make a book of some sort to compile all the letters as a gift for Lori.

So, the book has been my latest project. I was inspired by the latest issue of Quilting Arts with an article for making book wraps. My book looks NOTHING like those in the article and I did take the idea and convert it into an actual book instead of just a quilted wrap. The front cover was created by weaving strips of fabric together and then adding some sparkle and overlaying it with gold organza. For the inside cover, I cut out quotes, poems, prayers, scripture, hymns, etc... all containing the word 'heart'. I then arranged them on top of a piece of fabric and added hand cut hearts from various red papers. Then, I added the same gold organza over the top and quilted it. The edging is blanket stitched and the inside has page protectors bound with screw posts making it easy to not only add the letters but also additional pages if needed. I added a 'rope' of various fibers to wrap the book however, the book does have a magnetic clasp closure. I also did a little beaded heart on the flap with a hand in the middle to represent 'receiving'. I can't wait to give this to her. I know Lori and she will be thrilled.

12 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Ohhhh, you do *beautiful* work! I found your blog by surfing for fabric post cards - am trying to teach myself how to make them - and have enjoyed my visit.
It's great to find a fiber artist who loves the Lord and is firmly rooted in Him.
Your idea of Bible study and making books...was it?...is grand...what a wonderful idea! I've been thinking about starting a Bible study, need to stop thinking & start praying but your idea sounds terrific.What fun...learn to become a better Christian and make something beautiful...YAY!

Joanne Huffman said...

Of course Lori will be thrilled; this is a wonderful piece, heartfelt and filled with love.

Joanne

Faye said...

I'm sure Lori will be overwhelmed by your give of obvious love... It's a wonderful piece of work and a special touch with all the spiritual verses. Will be thinking of you all on the 17th, hope the party goes well.
cheers - Faye

Anonymous said...

What a special book! I'm sure she will love it and it is so obvious that you put a lot of love and work into this magnificient creation!

Beth M :)

Linda Jo said...

Oh, this is beautiful! Lori will love it. What a nice thing you did.

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful gift! lori is very lucky to have such af friend!! you did a wonderful job on this piece!!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I loved those book wraps in QA and your version is a treasure indeed! By the way ... Happy Birthday!

jan

Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely gift for your special friend !

Angela Hoffmann said...

wow! what a special gift! It is beautiful..and i bet there won't be a dry eye in the house when she opens it!

Maija said...

Your gift to Lori is beautiful!

Digitalgran said...

What a lovely idea to make this for your friend's heart anniversary. She's going to be thrilled.

Karen Campbell said...

This is such a phenomenal piece, Angie!