Sunday, February 6, 2011

A different point of view


I have often posted photos of the sunrise but today, I'm posting one taken yesterday morning from a bit of a different perspective. I took this photo from inside my house instead of outside. I love the way the pieces of cut glass in my front door reflect the colors of the sunrise each morning. This is usually the draw for me to run and look out! I glance at the front door and see the color through the glass like this and head for the window for a better view.... then often out the front door with camera in hand! Beautiful, isn't it?

I wasn't on the schedule to work yesterday so I was able to go to Prodigal's home a little bit later and stay for the whole morning. I spent probably 2 hours in the kitchen washing dishes! As food was served to the many homeless and poor, trays and large pans were brought to the kitchen to be washed. There is no running hot water so a very large container of hot water with a valve is set up to do dishes. Funny, people think that helping feed the homeless means standing out with food yet sooooo much goes on behind the scenes for it to ever happen. Volunteers arrive about 5 a.m. One man, Owen, starts making pots of coffee. He literally stands at two coffee makers making coffee for TWO HOURS to fill the large thermal containers so everyone can have warm coffee when they arrive. What a gift to those who have been out in the freezing cold all night! The smile on Owen's face never leaves the entire morning and he serves from behind the scenes, making coffee and cleaning up, mopping floors at the end of the morning, helping put supplies away. There are numerous people just like Owen, who show up every morning to set up tables, set out napkins and utensils, put food out, cook food, unload and set up clothing offered, and musicians there singing each morning. All this besides those there to serve plates of food to those cold, hungry, weary, and rejected by society. There is no line to stand in for them. The come, sit, and are served as if they were in a restaurant, out in a parking lot! Oh, then there is all the clean up and putting away of supplies in a storage unit! This happens every week. Truly, it's such a simple way to make a difference. No special talent is needed to make a huge impact. It's a beautiful morning.

I then got to go see the little house they recently purchased that is now under construction for remodeling. It will be a safe place open 7 days a week, during the day, for the homeless to come shower, wash their clothes, get a warm bowl of soup, see some cool art, listen to music, and have help filling out government papers and such. A prayer garden will also be put in the back yard. I'm glad I will get to watch the entire project be birthed. Right now, the house is a mess and the entire back wall has been taken out with plans of expansion.

I went to Scottsdale on Friday and visited a new up and coming art place. Fun art offered for sale as well as classes of all kinds, not just about art! It's called Jam. If you are local, check it out!

Yesterday, I had a highly emotional afternoon but later ended up going out to downtown Glendale for the "Chocolate Affair". A huge festival that happens every February. I did not go for the chocolate, however, since I do not eat sugar but, I went to check it out for a possible art vending opportunity. A monthly art venue will be happening down there and yesterday was the first so I wanted to see how it was going, what kind of art was being offered by other artists, etc...
I am looking for places to sell my work as well as teach so I'm going through a list. The tough thing about Scottsdale and Glendale is that since they are different cities, I would have to acquire tax licenses for both places. It begins to be expensive to hold tax licenses for all the surrounding cities. Not just paying the taxes on items sold but having to purchase the license. I need to think through and make sure that I'm choosing a venue where I can recoup my money and make a profit or, I'm in a city with multiple opportunities to sell. Unfortunately, here in the summer, all that shuts down so you have to crank during the nice months. Since I already have a Phoenix license, I need to investigate other opportunities here in my own city. This sounds a little funny. You'd think I'm driving way to other cities to look for possibilities when, in reality, there are so many cities surrounding Phoenix as part of "The Valley" that you have no idea when you drive out of one into the other. From the sky, it looks as if it's just one enormous city! They all just run together.

Anyway, I'm trying to gather information to move forward with my art as a career. It takes courage, is slow going, and I want to be wise with my choices. Financially, I'm not in a place to take risks so I have to be especially careful.

Well, need to start getting ready for church. Hope everyone enjoys their day!

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I used to work at the Food Pantry on the days it was closed, so many people didn't understand what went into preparing the bags of groceries we dispensed. Good luck with finding a good venue for selling.

Judi said...

Great post, Angie. A full one indeed. Loved the gorgeous sunrise/set through your cut glass door. Loved hearing about your work at the homeless kitchen and the getting in on the ground floor of their new house project. And I loved hearing about your business ventures in art. God gave you such a depth of creativity and knowledge; I know He will take care of you and help you provide make a living for you and your boys. He looks at you and can't help but grin from ear to ear at how you use the creativity He put inside you. He is taking care of you and will give you wisdom about where to market your work. I pray for you, to that end. Love you!