Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Experimenting with Chai

OK, so it's not about art but it is about experimenting. A few days ago, I mentioned that I have fallen in love with Chai tea. Since that time, I'm trying different ones. First, it was the Tazo concentrate and you just add milk. I like it but it's a little too sweet and has too much pepper. Next, I tried Oregon Chai.. another concentrate. I purchased the "slightly sweet". Well, it was still a little too sweet for me. Next, I purchased the same brand but in "sugar-free"... only to realize after tasting it, that it was NOT sugar free but contained Sucralose... not something I want to drink... and it tasted sweeter than the previous "slightly sweet". YUK! Today, I was at Fresh & Easy (If ya'll don't have these stores, you are missin' out!) I purchased some chai tea bags figuring I'd be better off and it would be cheaper to just make it from scratch so I can adjust the sweetness myself. I still need to play around with the tea to milk ratio. I'm using Agave syrup as a sweetener because it has a milder flavor than honey. I'm using low-fat milk and plan to try almond milk too. I think I'm on the right track. Does anyone have any experience or advise... a favorite brand, etc... that you'd like to share with me?

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Have fun experimenting.

Joanne

Kelly Snelling said...

i've been a bit addicted to the chai latte at the coffee bean and tea leaf for more than a year now. they have a wonderful chai in tea bags that you can buy to make at home. i like it quite a lot. and they have that vanilla powder which is what they put in their latte with a little milk or cream. so i do make them at home now. but i also drink the tea just straight up. and, if you are really looking for something to kickstart your chai addiction, starbucks has chai flavored chocolate truffles. my husband gave me some for christmas and they are awesome!