Thursday, January 1, 2009

Work in Progress

It's always a little scary to put a piece of work out there for everyone to see while it is in progress. However, it is one of my favorite things that other brave artists do as I love seeing the piece change and come to completion. I'm trying to be more brave so ... I managed a few moments today to start working on the tree that my owl will be in. I created texture for the bark using light molding paste by Golden's on 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper. Once it was dry, I started adding some washes of color. I'm tired and stopping for the night but will lay in more washes tomorrow. The white area on the piece will be the hole cut out where the owl (which will also be cut out) will be added to give a more dimensional element to the piece making it look more realistic. So, this is where it is at tonight:
I did this while just standing at my kitchen counter. Hey, with no work space , you do what ya' gotta' do. I have been known to stand holding watercolor paper in my hand and painting just while standing up. Ya' do what works... especially when you are desperate to paint!

4 comments:

jackie said...

This is a beautiful piece! The texture really makes the tree come alive! And the owl is just divine!
hugs,
jackie

Joanne Huffman said...

I love watching works in progress and this is going to be incredible when it's finished.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the courage to show your work in progress. I always love to see how things move along!
Jill

The Backporch Artessa said...

This going to be awesome! I can't wait to see your progress- what a lovely style you have!