Wednesday, May 7, 2008

EDinM #7

This dead bee is the latest in my dead bee collection. Yes, I have a collection of them. I find them dead in my yard and I add them to my little box. Weird, I know. I feel that I somehow honor their presence, life, and job here on earth by noticing. Anyway, my neighbor told me that these huge black bees are called Woodcutter bees. I dunno... but I like them. I had forgotten how much I enjoy drawing insects until I started him. Poor thing, his wings are kinda' outta' whack, which called for the title of the page Anyway, so far, this is my favorite sketch of the first week of this challenge.

We are leaving Saturday morning for a week in Oceanside and I can't wait, although I feel like I have so much to do. The boys don't know yet! ;)

4 comments:

Ann said...

This is really nicely done. I am enjoying viewing all your work here and I especially like the incorporation of text with the drawings.

Margaret Ann said...

Oh how funny is this...I just finished drawings of 4 bees from old botanical prints!!!...what is that they say about great minds...? LOL

This is really neat ...I love naturalist journal type things and drawings...very cool! :)

Connie said...

mmmm! what a delcious bee - i love his ragged wings. we call them "carpenter" bees here - cuz they bore into wood rafters and tree trunks! have a wonderful vacation!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

I like it...have two dead ones out on the back porch i am saving to draw...next time you can sketch your box with the collection!!